Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Six Week Check Up

My six-week check-up didn’t start well. My surgeon took expectation to this letter to the editor of the Edmonton Journal.

“ Let's not get carried away with the Hip and Knee Program. The current protocol is myopically focused on systemic, non patient outcomes. Twenty weeks from pre-operation to surgery does not account for 12 weeks of ( post op) patient convalescence. I am four weeks into convalescence. I haven't seen a physiotherapist since I left hospital December 15th. The protocol of the new hip and knee centre should recognize patient outcomes don't end when the hospital door closes behind you.”
I had several issues going into the consultation. It took some time to resolve them.




Five things I learned at my six week consultation.

  • Rehab is a home based patient directed process for 6-8 weeks. (It takes that time for the healing process to take hold)
  • Physiotherapy will not be prescribed during this period.
  • My operative leg is longer, than it used to be, longer than my non operative leg. (This is considered a normal outcome of total hip replacement. It can be mediated with a shoe insert. I over used my non operative leg, in the initial rehab period. My right knee swelled. My right hamstring over stretched. I had more pain than I expected.





  • My operative leg abductor muscles are very weak
  • Physiotherapy starts, January 24th.

I need it

My surgeon and I intend to have lunch to compare notes.

I 'll let you know how we do.

Editorial disclousre, the first draft of this post was written January 17th 2007.It was completed February, 1. The healing process is longer and more painful than anticipated, preempting regular postings. My intention is to create a chronology of this process, by event date, not posting date. Hopefully, it will help future hip replacement patients.

No comments: